Monday, September 28, 2009

Today I turned right and then left!

Ok so to most people turning is no big deal but essentially all the roads here are dead straight. I joke that it is pretty much a straight road to Sydney where we then turn right to Melbourne ha ha. But today our turn right at Coolgardie signalled the end of the Great Eastern Highway and for me the end of headwinds (for a while at least). As I turned South I felt a wind on my back and my speeds pick up so I decided to go for a bigger day and take advantage of the conditions.
170km later I got to turn left and I saw my first road sign for Adelaide ..... OMG 1986km from Norseman. Rather than stop at the sign I did another 10km to finish the day at 280km. We know have a straight road to South Australia ahead of us!
No magpie attacks today but I wore a different colour helmet ie no black which may have helped. Lots of big dry bones along the roadside here - think they must be from the camels that live around here.
Most amazing sight - riding across Lake Cowan (a dry salt lake) at sun down with the warm red glow making shadows of me on the bush.
So onward to the Nullabor - bring it on!
Stats:
280 km, 9829 cals (does anyone know how accurate the Garmin is on this
measure?)
End point
S 32' 07.194
E 121' 51.504

4 comments:

  1. I have loved reading your blog so far Gary. Makes me think of really pressing forward with a couple of my goals! I think the effort you are putting in for the Learning for Life kids is awesome!!!!!!!! It is such a worthwhile cause and your support will make such a difference. I hope the next stretch sees the wind and magpies behind you and some more amazing sights in front. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not the maggies in the helmet that would worry me. It is the head on emus that would be the big problem

    At least the feathers may give you something soft to land on.

    neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're going really well dad! Although, the thing about the bones really freaked me out! :0 haha
    Miss you and mum loads - going to show grandma your blog tonight, she's been dying to see it.

    Love you :)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaz,


    The Garmin algorythm is VERY inaacurate. If you use it you will come back fat.

    Seriously, it can be up to 4x too much.

    Uses speed and cadence, no input from heart rate so work is not factored.

    A glorified heart rate monitor it is nothing more - BUT a FANTASTIC navigational and training tool it IS

    ReplyDelete