Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Rain, rain go away, come again another day!







Well today was pretty tough, we woke up to rain and it stayed until the last few hours. I guess we need the rain and the smell of the wild flowers and wet Nullabor earth is wonderful!

But for me this meant 7 hours of being wet - thank goodness for the support crew as I had two changes of cloths to get me warm. Also pleased I made the impulse purchase of a waterproof. It seems everything I bought just in case is being used!

We crossed into South Australia at 1pm Perth/Singapore time and we are now 100km from Border Village and closer to Adelaide then we are to Perth. So another time zone change - very confusing!

A guy called Colin (driving a truck to Melbourne) stopped and asked "are you Gary?" - he had seen the article in the Audax mag! Colin if you got on the blog site - thanks for the words of encouragement I needed it and it was great to chat! The TV ad is also now on telly and was playing in the roadhouse we stayed in!

So today I discovered the impact of mixing road trains (a 36m truck with 2 or 3 trailers) and rain. If you want to understand what its like: do this in your front room.
You need - you plus partner and child, a bike, an octopus strap, a bucket of water and a fan.
Then :
- attach octopus strap to front forks and door - strap should be almost taut
- turn on fan with highest setting and aimed at riders head
- have partner stand 1 metre in front of bike slightly to ur right
- do a track stand
- emulate road train passing in opposite direction by on a count of 3 making a loud whooshing noise then partner throws a bucket of water in your face and the child simultaneously closes the door very quickly making the bike shake and feel like u will fall. Get the picture? - for truck passing from behind reverse partners position - when two road trains pass in opposite direction at same time lie on ground and have partner throw water over you!

Needed mores stops today to get warm and dry before going out in the wind and rain again! The thought of the Kids and the words of all my friends helped me get going and avoided the support crew having to kick me out. But the extra time in stops meant I finished in the pitch black ... Couldn't help thinking "Blair Witch" being miles from anywhere with just my flash lights, did I hear voices calling???.

So music today was rock and heavy during the rain .. Prodigy (music for the jilted generation) the Sex Pistols and ACDC (kick in the teeth was quite apt). And again Paul VD to finish the day and focus on turning the cranks in a big gear.

High - getting messages from special loved ones when I briefly got a mobile signal and an sms from my boss; not about work!

Low - getting 100 over emails when I briefly got a mobile signal.

Stats
250km (total since Freo 1560km)
S 31' 34.263
E 130' 02.012

Let's hope for blue skies tomorrow. See you!

4 comments:

  1. Ok,

    I got Fei all lined up ready to try this with the bucket.

    Couldnt find an occy strap so going to use an innertube.

    Also, going to put Aircon on FULL BORE so that I can simulate how cold it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is incredible, gary! had no idea you were doing this (also pretty sure you have no idea who i am :))

    also, can hardly believe you averaged 50 km/h the other day! what a ride that must have been.

    "add oil" as they say in these parts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gary, on behalf of The Smith Family team in South Australia, welcome to our great State!!!! Unfortunately, you won’t have time to sample our great food and wine but you will see the country at its best with good rains pointing to a great season for the farmers. On your ride, you will be passing by three communities in our area: Whyalla, Port Pirie and Broken Hill. We also have students under scholarship in Ceduna and Port Augusta. I will be travelling over to Melbourne to ride the 100km stretch of Around the Bay so I look forward to catching up with you then. Keep up the good work – Graham Jaeschke, General Manager, The Smith Family South Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gary
    Rob, Arwen and I will definitly try out the front room experiment so we can live your pain. I suspect that Rob - who will 'play' you - may be a little less willing than Arwen and I!
    Well done on getting out of WA.
    We are immensly impressed by your efforts and you been a source of inspiration and motivation. I think though in our enthusiasm we may have overdone it at the gym on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete